New to Ultralight

Uberbricky

New to Ultralight

Postby Uberbricky » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Hello,

Well I am glad I found this site, sure took a lot from the videos. I'm do my first summer of UL, 7th year of hiking though (more like hauling) Needless to say I'm looking forward to the freedom of not being weighed down.

That being said, I'm still looking for efficiencies. I am getting a new pack, sleeping bag and light weight compression sack for it and should be able to save a lot there. Already have a white box stove for cooking and a bivy/tarp/X-Frame pad but am not sure that I can get to UL status.

So what is the weight I can consider myself an UL hiker? I'm picking up a scale tomorrow to find out just where I'm at....

Thanks!!

AkiKazeta

Re: New to Ultralight

Postby AkiKazeta » Fri May 23, 2014 10:02 am

Hola Uber!

Unfortunately, there's no single definition identified by a governing body. Depending on where you are and who you ask, "Ultralight" can mean different things. According to wikipedia, ultralight backpacking is defined as follows (reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultralight_backpacking):

Light and ultralight are generally defined as base pack weights below 20 pounds (9.1 kg) and 10 pounds (4.5 kg) respectively in the US; elsewhere the definitions are commonly given as lightweight being under 10 kg, and ultralight under 5 kg. For comparison, traditional backpacking practices often results in base pack weights above 30 pounds (14 kg), and sometimes up to 60 pounds (27 kg).

Good luck with the weight reduction!
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
- John Muir

nhlcoins15

Postby nhlcoins15 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:23 pm

in addition to tracking down a new player 25 % with the genuine.

Mitchel880

Postby Mitchel880 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:52 pm

My business is a relatively fresh "ultralight hiker" using base pounds because of 11. 5 fat. My partner and i at this time make use of a sawyer the law of gravity drinking water filtering device. The item weighs in at 12 ounces
I use the item due to the fact it is just a safety blanket because my personal little ones choose me frequently. must i forget the particular pounds along with choose an additional option?
'M, UV various other?.
NoorAlamShahzad

Return to “Hikelight.com Ultralight Hiking Forum”