Bear Country

mulloo

Bear Country

Postby mulloo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:52 am

Hi Steve - I'm a relatively new hiker and have read a great deal about bears and preventive measures one should take regarding food and supplies. I took a three day hike in the Catskills a few weeks back (with a 46+ lb pack!!!) and realized how much lighter my pack could have been after the trip. Primarily food and water took up a bulk of the weight. Starting off I carried 3.75 liters of water into a very dry area, along with 5.81 lbs of food. After reading through your site, I can definitely cut the weight substantially. My initial set of numbers will shave almost 19 lbs off the pack.

Unfortunately, from what I've read, hiking in bear country means using a bear canister. I have a Garcia which weighed in at a whopping 50 ounces (3.2 lbs). What would you suggest? Is carrying a bear canister overkill? Do folks store the canister inside their packs? What do you do in bear country?

Steve Green

Re: Bear Country

Postby Steve Green » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Although we have bears around here, they aren't a big problem. But in bear country, you just need the lightest canister you can find. Steve
Steve Green - Only The Lightest Camping Equipment
http://www.hikelight.com

mulloo

Postby mulloo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks Steve. If there are any others in bear country that can add some advice or tips on using a canister, I'd greatly appreciate it.

AkiKazeta

Postby AkiKazeta » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:54 am

Mulloo,

As with all equipment, your choices are going to depend on terrain, available facilities\resources, duration of trip, personal fitness level, etc. The Garcia Machine Backpacker's Cache is indeed enourmous and exceedingly heavy from an ultralight perspective. I can't even imagine trying to lug that thing inside my pack for any duration. The Garcia lends itself to trips where equipment can be transported outside the pack (i.e. pack animals, canoes, sherpa). In some locales park agencies provide storage cables which allow you to suspend food bags or packs overhead and out of the reach of bears. If the park agency does not provide storage cables and you do not have a bear resistant storage canister, find two stout trees and hang your food bag or pack at least 4 metres above the ground and 1.3 metres from each tree trunk (bring two 20 metre lengths of rope along with you).

An Ursack S29 (http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm) may be a more manageable option than the Garcia cache.
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
- John Muir

mulloo

Postby mulloo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Sorry about the slow reply Akikazeta. I've never seen such a sack before and will consider getting one now. That's a big weight savings.

Return to “Hikelight.com Ultralight Hiking Forum”