Storing backpack outside of tent

mira.mikes

Storing backpack outside of tent

Postby mira.mikes » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:29 am

Hi Guys,

I have quite minimalist tent 'Moutain Hardware Direkt 2".
It is fine when I am alone, but when we are two I need to store one or both backpack outside of tent overnight.

To keep backpack outside dry I would like to have some closeable 100% waterproof ultralight bag. I don't think that common raincover is suitable for this because it is not covering backpack totally.

My backpack is usually 70L.

In the end it would be great if I could use this "night bag" use also as common rain cover.

Any suggestion how to solve this?

mira

mulloo

Re: Storing backpack outside of tent

Postby mulloo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:20 am

How about using a simple garbage bag? Its not 100% waterproof, but if you pull it down from the top of the bag to the bottom, then tie it off you should be ok.

slsail

Postby slsail » Wed May 28, 2014 9:00 am

I use a 3/4 length sleeping pad and use my backpack under my legs .
actually works great give it a try. I do not store my food in the tent

Furnace

Postby Furnace » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:05 pm

To keep weight 'way down', I used 2 -30 gal trash bags. I set my backpack in one and pulled it up and fastened it lightly(do not want to knot it), then pulled the 2nd one over the top and down to the ground and tucked lightly under to prevent wind from pulling off. Great solution, no moisture absorption from the ground or runoff and no wetness from the sides or top and total weight is ~ 2 oz or less if you do not use 'heavy weight' bags, use cheap light weight. I used the same 2 lightweight -non-reinforced bags for 3 1/2 months on the AT and they were still good when I got off the trail, I've used the same 2 bags multiple times since then on single nites and 3 to 5 night trips. The bags did double duty during the day in protecting my clothes in the pack while hiking. I am a tarp-hammocker and only used a shelter about 10 nights in the 3 1/2 months, all the other nights the pack was on the ground by my tie off.
For nights were I was unable to use hammock and not at a shelter, I still used the same method for keeping my pack and contents dry and ground slept setting up my tarp as an A-frame using my hiking poles.
Furnace

Return to “Hikelight.com Ultralight Hiking Forum”