The Hiking Lite Transformation. Mine or Yours

Smiley

The Hiking Lite Transformation. Mine or Yours

Postby Smiley » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm starting this for me but would like to hear what others are doing to transform from a Heavy Weighters :( to a Hiking liters :D.

Was out in my shop going through my camp stuff have found ways to shave an easy ten pounds off my 40 lb pack already. It’s surprising the little stuff that you think is nothing adds extra weight in the long run. I have gotten a 2.5 lb pack which I think can be reduced to 2.0 lbs without too much trouble. I have a cut down closed cell foam sleep pad that I need to weigh but I am sure it will be liter than my Alps self inflating. I'm trying to decide what to do with my sleeping bag issue. I live in Ky, I don't need one during the summer and most of the spring or fall, I probably won’t be out at all during the coldest part of the year. So I am looking at a fleece bag or making a bag from a Mil poncho liner just something to break the chill during the night. So that is where I'm at for now I will post more as I go along. How about everyone else. :)

Smiley

Steve Green

Re: The Hiking Lite Transformation. Mine or Yours

Postby Steve Green » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:03 pm

Smiley,
Good thoughts. If you just need a little something to break the chill you might try a silk sleeping bag liner. At 4 ounces it's super light and small, and you can use it in the winter months to lower the temp rating of any sleeping bag.
Steve
Steve Green - Only The Lightest Camping Equipment
http://www.hikelight.com

kjmillig

Postby kjmillig » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:36 am

Wow. Where to start. I've always thought I had some fairly light gear, but I was wrong. Too heavy and often way too much. I need a lighter bag for Spring-Fall in Texas. My current bag is OK for the coldest nights of winter.
I kept looking at 70+liter packs. After watching several videos I've started looking at ~50 liters. I might be able to reduce that. I'll be selling or giving away my trusty Coleman Peak 1 composite external frame pack.
Sleeping comfort is a big issue for me so I'm keeping my self-inflating pad.
No more bulky Coleman 400 style stove. I already have 2 homemade alcohol burners and will be getting a light folding canister stove.
I won't even get into over-packing clothes (cotton at that).
I'm also starting to look at ultralight tents. Rain protection and bug netting are important in Texas.
Nuff for now.

Smiley

Postby Smiley » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:59 am

Its quite the adventure when you get into it. Do I need this or that this is to heavy so what do I use now. I've still been working on mine, I down to 14 lbs base weight right now. Thats with no water or food and sure I can go liter just need to find the things to make it possible. Good luck and take care.

jorgea

Postby jorgea » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:49 am

It's practical to go light while hiking, camping, or traveling. Thanks for the ideas.

OldtimerBrit

Postby OldtimerBrit » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:05 am

Hi there

I remember when I first started, I took so much gear I could hardly stand. I soon learned on returning from my first trip by taking out every thing I did not use and put to one side, that pile of gear never came out again, we all learn the same way. The problem with big packs say 50Lt plus, is the bigger they are the more you will put in them.

Here's one tip, I used to carry a couple of small ziplock bags with dried herbs, they will transform a boring meal into a tasty one.

Have fun and stay light.

Cheers 8-)

davidsquall351

Postby davidsquall351 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:52 am

My first backpacking trip was the Kaibab trail to Phantom ranch in the bottom of the Grand Canyon back in 2005.Thinking of the trail now its not hard at all. But man that 7 miles was an all day excursion with what we we were carrying.
For our shelter for three we had a nine man coleman tent(Hikers down there called it the taj Mahal), split the tent, fly and poles between my brother cousin and I. We all had 2 gallons of water each and our food was canned soup and raviolis :) (GREAT food but really?!)
In my bag (a 80's Kelty external frame bag) I had A huge(ready for nuclear war )first aid kit,a Half sized Mag lite ,multiple knifes of all types, a collapseable shovel,a 5 pound 0'F Coleman sleeping bag(witch is now my comforter on my bed), all of us had the one pound propane tank with a huge burner,....You name it we had it.

It was a Great trip with great memories on the Tonto Plateu but when we got back we knew what we had to do :)
Our bags weighed 45-50 lbs a piece. Now I have it to 12 lbs without food/water. Thanks for all your help Steve,
Ove cut off alot of useless poundage after watching your vids !

fairyanna

Postby fairyanna » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:55 am

For the sleeping bag, I usually take the WM HighLite. Rain gear will be the new Montbell Versalite. Cooking gear is one small titanium kettle and the Snowpeak Litemax stove. Sleeping pad is the Peak Elite AC 72", but I'll be using the Klymit pad more to see how I like it, too. The other items are mostly the ones on the list. I live in an area where I can often use water without treating, but I usually carry some Potable Aqua tablets.

Return to “Hikelight.com Ultralight Hiking Forum”