Welcome to our new forum

gershon

Re: Welcome to our new forum

Postby gershon » Thu May 31, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi,

I just found hikinglight.com today. I'm really impressed with the gear choices.

I live in Colorado and that is where most of my hiking/backpacking experience is. Last summer, I made the first cut in weight by buying a scale and eliminating the things I didn't need. The next phase will be buying new gear as the old wears out or as I can afford it.

My pack weight is 29.4 pounds for 2 nights/3 days including food and water. It's a little heavy because my hiking partner is small, so I get a little extra. I'd like to knock about 8 pounds off that. I think it can be done in time.

Popeye

Postby Popeye » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Greetings, brand new here....a traditional too heavy weekend backpacker with two major goals....lighten my load, while maintaining MOST of the same inventory within reason (somethings I have NEVER used and the likelihood is so remote it's not worth the weight) and, lengthen my treks in both days and miles. So I look forward to learning helpful tips and tricks here and making my hiking package what it should be. I live in NH and the infamous Mt.Washington and the white mountains are my play ground!! My name is Keith...

OldtimerBrit

Postby OldtimerBrit » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:32 am

Hi There
Greetings from the other side of the big pond.

I have been hiking for many years now, backpacking in my younger days, then using the youth hostels, always looking at way's to shed weight from my pack. Whilst I do not hike as much, or as far as I might dream of, I still enjoy my hikes probably as I am now retired and are fortunate to live a mile from the coast and a mile from our latest national park.

Many thanks Steve for your most informative articles and videos, I may be older now but I still love gadgets as much as I used to.

Good luck with the forum

TwistedElvis

Postby TwistedElvis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 am

Hi I am new to the Forum and live in San Diego!
I am in my mid 40's, and my son is in scouting so I try to go on all the backpack trips I can with his troop, but I want to lighten my load so its easier for me to keep up! :oops: So that is why I am here.

mudrunner

Postby mudrunner » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I live near Vancouver, BC & the Coast Range is my home.

I've been hiking/camping for many years & my kids are also big on baccountry camping. While I considered my gear "comfortably light", I'm looking to step up the comfort level by dropping some "gear" pounds.
I got into ultrarunning about 12 years ago & I'm looking to combine my distance skills, limited vacation/family time, with my enthusiasm for the outdoors.

I found Hikelight while surfing for gear for a planned JMT fastpack. Great info, tips , & gear!

Looking forward to learning & sharing ideas.

hoosierhiker

Postby hoosierhiker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Hello Steve. I have been watching your videos for a while now and like the amount of details that you give on gear reviews. You have covered items I would not have even thought of. My pack keeps getting lighter! Since it has warmed up here in southern Indiana, I am looking forward to implementing all the things that I have learned from you and enjoying hiking in the wilderness more. Thank you for all the helpful information.

newmexicooutdoor

Postby newmexicooutdoor » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:59 am

Hey Steve!

I'm danny; experienced backpacker now in 60's and threatening to go light!!

dimivalch

Postby dimivalch » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:16 pm

Although I am a fan of light hiking the love of hiking with my dog won't really help in my stripping weight. There is some stuff that I do have to bring along with him, but I'll keep you posted on how we move along with that. I actually saw a great backpack for dogs that I'll buy if it fits my Harvey, so he can bring his own stuff.

I wish you luck with this forum and hopefully we can all learn a lot from each other.
There are lots of of things that you need for a good hike, but if you're gonna go light you only need the best lightweight hiking boots and your will go to further!

allen_c

Postby allen_c » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:15 am

Hello Steve Green, I just found you while searching on Google for ultralight hiking. I think i found the right community to learn and share my experience with my new friends. :)

Return to “Hikelight.com Ultralight Hiking Forum”